The Tardis at the Library


And the Tardis finally materialized at the library!

Published in: on May 15, 2011 at 11:30 pm  Leave a Comment  

Traveling Through Time and Space

Once the Tardis was finished we had to get it to the library to take pictures there. This was rather difficult as it weighs a ridiculous amount. (We’re guessing about 500lbs.)

Finished Tardis

Tardis being raised up, so wheels could be put under it

The Tardis being put on the trailer

The Tardis almost on the trailer

The Tardis on the trailer

The Tardis being tied down to the trailer

The Tardis and the minivan

The Tardis being driven to the library

The Tardis at the library

The Tardis being put onto the sidewalk

Once the Tardis was at the library it was about five minutes later and about a mile from our house, so we really did travel in time and space!

Published in: on May 15, 2011 at 11:10 pm  Leave a Comment  

The “POLICE BOX” Sign

Materials

-Wax Paper

-Painter’s tape

-Stencil

-Sharpie

-Ruler

-Plexiglass

-Black plastic spray paint

-Clear spray paint

The Process

The “Police Box” sign on each of the doctor’s tardises (or is it tardi) are very similar. However, I used this photo of the tenth doctor’s tardis sign as my reference.

You can’t see it in this picture, but the sign on the original tardis lights up, so we wanted our sign to light up also. So, the sign is made out of plexiglass. Because we couldn’t find any white plexiglass we used clear and just used a white backing. The obvious way to put the letters on was to use a stencil, which was the most  complicated part of making the sign.

I figured the best way to do the letters was to make a stencil out of painter’s tape, stick it to the sign, spray paint over it, then peal the letters off. Of course this required me to actually make the letters. I began by printing out the letters I wanted on the sign onto cardstock. This allowed me to have a stencil to make the tape stencil.

The wax paper covered in painter's tape

Me tracing the letters onto the tape

The letters traced onto the tape

I cut out the printed letters and traced them onto wax paper covered in painter’s tape. The wax paper made it easy to peal off the letters and stick them onto the actual sign.

The letters cut out

I was then able to cut out the letters made of tape. Then I waited for my dad to cut the plexiglass to the size of the signs.

The plexiglass for the sign

Next, I started to stick the letters onto the actual sign. Coincidentally, I was watching Doctor Who at the time with my mum.

Me putting the letters onto the sign

The sign with the text on it

After I had finished putting the letters onto all four of the signs, I brought them out to the garage to spray paint.

The signs ready to be spray painted

Me spray painting the signs

The signs covered in paint

Then I went into the house and discussed calculus with my dog. (I think I was spray-painting a bit long.)

The next morning, I pealed the letters off the sign. I was worried that the black paint would peal, so I cut around each letter with a razor blade before pealing the letter off.

The first sign done!

All of the signs done. You wouldn't believe how much cat hair was in the paint.

I was really pleased at how the signs turned out. The only problem was that the black paint really liked to peal. To fix this I applied a clear spray paint finish.

Me putting a clear finish on the signs

Once I was done with this I had another discussion with my dog, this time about politics.

Published in: on May 15, 2011 at 10:50 pm  Comments (13)  

She’s Blue!

Once the roof was attached to the structure, the Tardis was painted blue!

Dad painting the Tardis Blue

The Tardis being painted Blue

Then, the tape and foil was taken off the windows.

The trim on the windows was applied.

The Tardis with trim on the windows

And, finally, we put the signs up.

Finished Tardis

Published in: on May 15, 2011 at 10:49 pm  Leave a Comment  

The Roof

Once we had the structure done, we worked on the roof. We noticed that there’s a slight slant on the roof of the actual tardis, so we decided to make our roof slanted. This has the added benefit of keeping rain and possibly snow off when it’s functioning as my mother’s garden shed.

Dad working on the roof

The roof and the structure of the Tardis

The roof painted

Once the roof was finished, it was painted.

On top of the real Tardis is a light.

Light on 11th Doctor's Tardis

To reproduce this light we used an artichoke jar from Costco. (The artichokes got relocated to an old Chinese food container.)

The jar for the light fixture. Inside it are three LEDs and the cord (which didn't stay there) to make the LEDs light up.

For the pieces on the side of the light we used wooden dowels.

The wooden dowels painted blue

The big problem for us was the piece on the top. My dad managed to make it by gluing two 2*10s together and cutting them down to size.

The piece on top of the light painted blue

Once finished, the light fixture looked like this.

The light on top of the Tardis

The Tardis with the roof

Finally we put the roof on top of the Tardis.

Published in: on May 15, 2011 at 9:31 pm  Leave a Comment  

The Structure

Getting the actual structure of the tardis was vital, and the first step for us.

The Base/Floor

Kate using the nail gun to secure the floor

We began by making the base.

The frame for one of the walls

Once the base was finished, we began to construct the walls. First, the frame for each wall was built, then  it was covered in plywood.

Once all the walls were built, we began to put them up.

Wall #1

Wall #2

Me stapling the third wall up

Wall #4

Dad nailing the walls together

The piece over the door up

Once we had all the walls up, we moved on to building the roof.

Published in: on May 15, 2011 at 8:51 pm  Comments (2)  
Tags: